11 July 2008

Ole Miss fans discuss the ACC

Ole Miss fans, in response to the ACC fans who shared their feelings about Ole Miss, answered a few questions about the ACC. Most Rebel fans feel that the ACC is a respectable football conference and the best basketball conference. It was also interesting to see how many Ole Miss fans disliked Miami. I wonder if other ACC fans feel the same way?


(1) What do you think of the ACC in general?


I think some of the ACC programs have a great tradition - Clemson, Virginia, Florida State, Georgia Tech, even BC. The past few seasons however, they have underperformed. I'm still waiting for the ACC to emerge as the all-powerful conference so many experts predicted five years ago. With that being said, I definitely look forward to watching some ACC football this fall and expect to see some great games.-Minnow123

Second best football conference in the land.-MarshallReb

Basketball conference, but somehow their attempts to strengthen football seem to be backfiring. Who'da thought FSU and Miami would suck and WF would be good? With BD at UNC and O'Brien at NC State, they could end up giving the SEC a pretty good run for its money if the traditional ACC powerhouses get it together. -PiedmontRebel

I usually don't, but of course, the basketball conference stereotype still jumps right out. -GeorgiaRebz

Basketball. Absolutely my favorite basketball conference. The level of play, tradition and rivalries aren't matched anywhere. A few very high quality baseball teams and some very good football, although for some schools it will always take a backseat to basketball.-r3b3l_fan

Solid all around conference in the big 3 - baseball, basketball and football.-goldengoat

I think the ACC is great conference overall. I think they have some good football and baseball programs and the ACC is probably the best basketball conference.-jacopass

I have a favorable impression of the ACC in general. The basketball is unparalled and it is a mixed conference in identity with everything from hockey to golf and some pretty good football.-
sampath

I'm surprised to see the recent drop-offs of former powers like Florida State and Miami. Right now, they're probably the fifth best overall conference. That shouldn't last long, though.-
YeeOleMiss5

Good football conference and great basketball conference. Nothing beats Tobacco Road basketball.-
Alry45

Lately it's a SEC-wannbe conference. Lot's of southern US schools but basketball definitely rules there, even though they've added some real football schools with Miami and Fla State. Still not enough to match us. -
Greyman

Basketball/baseball conference with a few power football teams sprinkled in.-
Pettey

ACC seems to be down from what it used to be.-
shaunp38

ACC-good basketball conference but not as good as what people think. I would say 3rd best football conference. The ACC in general usually doesn't bring a lot of attention to themselves. You never really hear about them until basketball.-
Reb08

Average fan probably still thinks of them as a basketball conference but now they are much more balanced-
rogertheshrubber


I enjoy watching the ACC teams play as much as anybody outside of the SEC. I think that the ACC is a solid conference but seems to be down lately in respect to their historic programs in football.-RebelCrispy

I think the ACC goes back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd best football conference. FL State and Miami being down has hurt. They need to pick it up or the Big East may pass them.-
chumanfu2000

A good all around conference, but not great conference... Football has improved a lot, but basketball has declined.-
formtackler

One of the top Basketball conference, underrated baseball conference, great campuses, great fans, great academics, good rivalries, my 2nd favorite conference.-
NeverQuit38

They need to stick to basketball....Great confrence for Basketball.-
mustang37205

Basketball Duke vs. UNC. Football, since the new teams joined the conference, it is very balanced. When Wake can win the ACC something is up. That would be like Vandy winning the SEC.-
ChuckNorrisReb

It's a good basketball conference.-
CTREB

Basketball comes to mind at first, but probably the third best in football (SEC #1, Big XII #2). Great baseball conference too!-
TurfReb

3rd best football conference from top to bottom, best basketball conference, second best baseball conference. -
teejovitch

Good conference. Better than the all but the SEC top to bottom, though their big dogs have been down the last couple of years.-
DannyPRebel

Excellent conf. Great sports (basketball and quality football) great education, beautiful locations for the most part (UVA is about as beautiful as you will find on a fall afternoon, second to Ole Miss, of course)-
RebInLorton

I like the ACC. Being largely rooted in the South, it's more like the SEC than any other conference. -
MakersMarkReb

Pretty solid overall conference. Probably the best basketball conference and does very well in baseball. Football hasnt done as well as expected since taking in BC, Miami, and VaTech. I like the schools in the ACC though, and they are great to visit on road trips.-
CapitolReb

2nd Favorite conference to watch...I love UNC(2nd to Ole Miss of course), almost went to school there.-
SuaveRebel

Much more respected now that Miami and VT are in it. But I like a lot of them. But I still don't think they are as "big-time" in football as the SEC is, although I think they think they are.-MississippiKite


(2) What team would you want to schedule for an upcoming football series?


BC or Clemson-Minnow123

VT, would love to go to a game in blacksburg-MarshallReb

We've already got WF and GT and Clemson (I think)-PiedmontRebel

I do believe we'll be adding Georgia Tech, and then Clemson over the next 5 years? Of course, we're going to W.F. this year. I'd like to play Miami in a home & home. It would get national t.v., and we always seem to be in a recruiting war or two with a top ranked player with Miami. It would be good to have a couple of wins against them to use when recruiting.-GeorgiaRebz

UVA - I grew up close to Charlottesville and I'd love to go see Ole Miss play a game there.-r3b3l_fan

Miami, VaTech or Duke (want to wear the "A Cut Above" T-shirt)-goldengoat

Probably Virginia Tech, but it would be fun to take a trip to Miami.-jacopass

North Carolina, Miami, and Boston College would all be great games.-
sampath

Since we're playing Clemson and Georgia Tech, I'd like to schedule Miami or Boston College. If I wanted an easy win, I'd go with Duke or NC State (right now, that is).-
YeeOleMiss5

FSU-a lot of my friends go there and I would love to have a crack at beating them.-
Alry45

Georgia Tech. -
Greyman

I would love to Play UNC because of location and they're probably my favorite ACC team (also second best uni's in the country next tou ours) Would also love a chance at the powers...VT/FSU/Miami just for the fun of it (although it might not be that fun for the team)-
Pettey

UNC. I've always enjoyed their fans and I think Butch Davis will have them competitive sooner than later.-
shaunp38

I would definitely like to schedule Boston College. It would be really interesting to see how the city of Boston would handle Dixie being played in the North.-
Reb08

Boston College---it would be different to see us freeze up there and them wilt down here-
rogertheshrubber

Virginia Tech for sure. A home and home please because I am moving to Blacksburg and would love to see the Rebs play in Lane Stadium.-
RebelCrispy

Va Tech they seam to be the best consistently.-
chumanfu2000

Anyone for football or basketball.-
formtackler

Since we already scheduled Wake, Ga Tech, and Clemson I'd say Florida State - easier drive than most, one of the best traditions in ACC, and a fun place to watch a game. I'd also love a home in home with Duke to bring Cutcliffe back to Oxford!-
NeverQuit38

Virgina Tech and Georgia Tech would be the only ones i would care too see the Rebels play.-
mustang37205

FSU or UNC (although Duke with Cutcliffe returning to Oxford would be interesting).-
ChuckNorrisReb

Georgia Tech-
CTREB

Virginia and/or Virginia Tech.-
TurfReb

Miami- they're always overrated-
teejovitch

I would love to play any ACC teams, as long as it included a basketball home and home in the deal.-
DannyPRebel

UVA or UNC-
RebInLorton

Well, we've got Clemson and GT scheduled in the next few years (both of which I'm looking forward to). So, I'd have to say UVA. I've always thought any of those three schools would make good non-conf. opponents.-
MakersMarkReb

After Wake and upcoming series' with Clemson and GT, I would say that UVA would be a great team to schedule. Or it might be fun to revisit ol' Coach Cut at Duke..-
CapitolReb

Miami because I would love to beat the U.-
SuaveRebel


Virginia and Clemson and UNC. We already have Clemson.-MississippiKite


(3) If you could trade any SEC team for an ACC team which team would you trade and which team would you pick? Explain why.

I would trade Vanderbilt for Clemson. Vanderbilt seems more in line with schools like BC, Duke and North Carolina then the SEC schools. Clemson, on the other hand, seems like a nice fit for the SEC. -Minnow123

I would swap Vandy for Clemson. Vandy is all academics and clemson is a good athletic school with great football traditions.-MarshallReb

GT for Kentucky. Or one of the NC schools...maybe Wake. Makes more sense geographically.-PiedmontRebel

As much as I hate Mississippi State, and don't believe they'll ever be SEC quality, I would honestly trade Vanderbilt for Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has some really historic rivalries with 'Bummer & Allbarn, and it would really be great to have UGA and GA Tech playing for an SEC game. Vandy would fit more into the basketball stereotype of the ACC, and of course, Ga Tech would bring us more revenue in the SEC. I would also consider Clemson. That would be good to have South Carolina to play their in state rivalry game as an SEC game, but it's still so damn hard to view the Gamecocks as an SEC team...even with Spurrier. I'd swap Vandy for Ga Tech. Of course, I'd take FSU before GA Tech, but trading Vandy for FSU just isn't a fair trade. You go from great academics in the SEC to the worst in the ACC. GA Tech would be an even trade for Vandy. -GeorgiaRebz

Clemson for Vanderbilt. Clemson is a solid athletic school all the way around, good baseball football and basketball, Vandy is out of place in the SEC, but It'd be hard to justify them geographically in the Atlantic Coast Conference.-r3b3l_fan

Clemson or GATech for Vandy. both good schools with sound academics and good athletics. good facilities, too. would add a level of competition to the east that has been missing since vandy joined the conference - football.-goldengoat

That’s a tough question. I would have to go with Vandy for Clemson or FSU. I think they both have good programs and traditions. I think both would be good additions to the conference.-jacopass

I would trade MSU for any of the ACC teams or even a just a couple of dirty towels and a dead mascot.-
sampath


I wouldn't change anybody, but Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Clemson the best geographical choices if we had to.-YeeOleMiss5

Vanderbilt for Duke. Same academics but Duke is better in athletics.-
Alry45

Arkansas "feels" like an SEC program. South Carolina still does not. I'd trade them for Georgia Tech in a flash. Besides, one maroon team in this conference is more than enough. -
Greyman

I would trade Alabama I'm so sick of that fan base and the whining they do. They get everything and then cry that they got screwed. I would trade them for anyone but Miami (we've got enough criminals in this conference)-
Pettey

I'd like to trade UT or Bammer for either Va Tech or Florida State. The upgrade in fans would be great and they're quality opponents pretty much every year.-
shaunp38

I would definitely trade Vanderbilt and pick up Florida State. Or I would pick up Georgia Tech. Florida State or Georgia Tech would be a great addition to the SEC. Plus, Vanderbilt is the only team in the SEC that no one follows.-
Reb08

Vanderbilt for Florida State. No offense to Vandy but...and Fla. State would really turn the SEC East into an even more major war with the Florida game looming huge-
rogertheshrubber

I would trade Mississippi State because I would like to see what Ole Miss could do in the SEC if we were the only SEC team in our state and I would pick up Georgia Tech because of the same reason. I would like UGA to have to see what it is like to compete with another in-state SEC team. Either GaTech or FSU though.-
RebelCrispy

Ga Tech they were in and it would make the most logical choice. Plus it would pet more pressure on the Bulldogs.-
chumanfu2000

Clemson for USC for no other reason than USC just doesn't seem to feel like an SEC school IMO.-
formtackler

I would trade Clemson for Florida or South Carolina for Florida State. Personally I feel like Clemson and Florida States campuses and fans fit into the SEC a little better than Florida and South Carolina. This could make the instate rivalries even more intense (if that's possible).-
NeverQuit38

I would Trade Vandy for Georgia Tech...they use to be part of our proud conference!-
mustang37205

Trade LSU and their fans. Take Clemson. Probably not possible, but the USC/Clemnson rivalry would get that much more intense.-
ChuckNorrisReb

Georgia Tech for Vandy. I think Tech is a good all around opponent and should come back to the SEC.-
CTREB

I'd trade Vandy and Mississippi State for Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and/or Georgia Tech. All 4 of those schools seem to have well balanced programs, and all four appear to be cleanly run.-
TurfReb

Florida State for Alabama. I hate bammer with a burning passion.-
teejovitch

I would get rid of either South Carolina or Vandy. I would say Mistake, but they'd never find their way that far to play an away game. I would love to add one of the Carolinas to increase the recruiting and TV base for the conference, or add one of the Florida schools to give UF more direct competition in state.-
DannyPRebel

I would trade Arkansas for Clemson or GA Tech. This is due to the long history that Arkansas has with the old SWC and long rivals in the state of Texas and OK. I'll take the others to further enhance the rivalries within the states of SC & GA. OR maybe Louisville in KY.-
RebInLorton

I've always sensed Clemson would fit right in with the rest of the SEC because of geography, tradition, passion, etc. I like USC and their fans I have encountered. But they - along with Arkansas - are still new members of the SEC relative to the other teams. So, I guess the easiest switch would be USC for Clemson . But if I could just summarily choose one team that doesn't belong in the SEC, I'd say Vandy. While they are a charter member and help skew some of the academic stats for the conference as a whole, anyone who has attended a game in Nashville can tell you it's just not SEC football. Despite the fact that they have become more competitive the last couple of years (They beat the Orgeron 2 out of 3 years...ouch), they still have a C-USA atmosphere. It's just not SEC football to me.-
MakersMarkReb

Most are saying Vandy for Florida State. I say either Arkansas or South Carolina for either Fla. State or GT.-
CapitolReb

I would trade Kentucky for UNC. Like I said, I love UNC. Plus they are a good school academically and Athletically. I would love a baseball series with them.-
SuaveRebel

MSU, of course. But that has nothing to do with the ACC. LOL. Who would I add? Probably FSU. -MississippiKite

(4) If you had to choose a favorite ACC team, who would it be and why?

I would choose Virginia Tech, I like how all their fans are so loud and into the game, and their entrance(enter sandman).-MarshallReb

WF... lived in W-S for a long time.-PiedmontRebel

I would say Clemson. My soon to be wife graduated from Clemson, and we catch a game or two a year there. Living in Atlanta, we have been able to hit several ACC games. Clemson has a very nice campus, great facilities, and a lot of great tradition when it comes to football. They have a fantastic balance between historic game day festivities, with a lot of current day influence. I can just never let myself yell out, "Go Tigers". Not only that, but it just doesn't seem that Tommy Bowden will ever get them over "the hump". We'll find out this season with Clemson being pre-season ranked in the top 10.-GeorgiaRebz

UVA - I mentioned above that I grew up very near Charlottesville. They were my favorite school growing up and I have a picture of myself as a little kid standing next to Ralph Sampson.-r3b3l_fan

Don't really have one, but for the sake of the argument, VATech - always liked Beamer, a real stand-up type guy who could have looked for a more high profile job during his successful stint but has stayed in place...gotta respect Frank.-goldengoat

My dad, brother, and a lot of my extended family went to Duke, so I’m going to have to go with Duke as my favorite ACC team. -jacopass

I like Maryland because I used to play rugby against them and UVA. Both have beautiful campuses and one of the prettiest coeds I ever gazed upon was at Maryland. I like Boston College because Peter Kreeft is one of my favorite philosophers and Doug Flutie is one of my all time favorite players.-
sampath

Florida State b/c of Bobby Bowden-
YeeOleMiss5

NCSU. Grew up a huge fan, was at the game where NCSU beat FSU first in Carter-Finley and was at Doak when they beat FSU in 01. Loved Phil Rivers, Torry Holt, CC Harrison, Anthony Grundy, and Julius Hodge the list could go on.-
Alry45



That would be Duke, because I really admire their basketball program. -Greyman

Favorite UNC. Nothing I dislike about them. Virginia would be next, love the town (best band ever is from there) campus and the history.
-Pettey

Va Tech... good people, good school and a solid program led by a good coach.-
shaunp38

Favorite team in the ACC is probably Florida State. I like the Seminoles.-
Reb08

UNC. I like their uniforms and they don't have the thuggish reputation of some teams-
rogertheshrubber

VT for sure. People in Blacksburg are really nice people, remind me a good bit of Ole Miss fans. I will be pulling for them in the ACC!-
RebelCrispy

Virginia Tech I follow them and pull for them. I played for coach Beamer at Murray State many years ago and he was very good to me.-
chumanfu2000

I don't have a favorite.-
formtackler

Virginia - I really like their colors, logo, fans, facilities, and it's one of my favorite campuses in the country. It also resembles Ole Miss than any other school.-
NeverQuit38

None really i am an SEC fan.-
mustang37205

FSU. Have several friends who work there.-
ChuckNorrisReb

I don't have a favorite.-
CTREB

I wouldn't really have a favorite. I guess either Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and/or Georgia Tech-
TurfReb

Florida State- HOT women everywhere, very much like Ole Miss in that respect-
teejovitch

I don't know, maybe UNC. I lived in North Carolina for a few years, and followed them some.-
DannyPRebel

UVA, due to outstanding academics (best state univ. in the country?) quality sports programs and beautiful location and history.-
RebInLorton

Hmm. I've never thought about that. I guess I'd go with Clemson. I like their enthusiasm. For some reason, they've always reminded me of Auburn in many different ways. (I'm no fan of Auburn, but I do appreciate their town, campus, traditions and fans)-
MakersMarkReb

Would come down to UVA and GT. Father went to GT and games are a good time. UVA is beautiful and Charlottesville is a sweet town. Both are great academic schools.-
CapitolReb

UNC..Classy Fans and a great college town.-
SuaveRebel

Virginia. Ole Miss' campus is modelled after theirs. And I toured their campus once. Very nice. They remind me of us.-MississippiKite



(5) Are there any ACC team you dislike? If so, why?

I'm not a huge BC fan because I don't like anything that has to do with Boston.-Minnow123

No not really-MarshallReb

VT. They're trying to supplant Miami for the title of ThugU, and they have a bunch of obnoxious walk-on redneck fans. At least they do here in Roanoke. -PiedmontRebel

Not really. I don't like many of them either. Miami just seems like it's run about as well as 'Bama when it comes to cheating. Still, Miami more leans towards the thug type of football that Mississippi State was really known for under that used care salesman coach they had before Croom. Jackie was a joke! I dislike WF I guess because we'll play them. The rest are an after thought until basketball. I tend to pull for Duke over UNC. -GeorgiaRebz

Georgia Tech - I can't explain this, I just don't like them.-r3b3l_fan

Never really liked NCstate or Maryland - very bland programs, look almost like twins.-goldengoat

Miami. I’ve always disliked their team and fans. They just seem like the most arrogant folks.-jacopass

Yes but it would be impolite and unjust to some students and alums to say which.-
sampath

North Carolina b/c they don't understand that their basketball success doesn't equate success on the gridiron. Also, Miami's history of thugs kinda turns me off too.-
YeeOleMiss5

North Carolina. Why? Because I do.-
Alry45

Right now? That would be Wake Forest...-
Greyman

Didn't have a problem with any until getting to know the Miami fan base. Don't understand how people could so arrogantly pull for criminals at a school they probably didn't even attend.-Pettey
Miami gets on my nerves...and especially when you consider how bad they've been lately. Clemson seems to waste a bunch of talent every year, but maybe Bowden will get a title eventually.-
shaunp38

I really do not like Miami. There football program is way overrated. Everyone saw what happened to Miami, once they joined the ACC. They weren't playing cupcakes every week. All of those great Miami football teams would have probably been a middle of the road team in the SEC.-
Reb08

Miami. See #4 about thuggishness-
rogertheshrubber

I really don't have any ACC team that I dislike that much.-
RebelCrispy

Miami and Boston College both are always over rated and cocky.-
chumanfu2000

Miami because they have traditionally been a rogue football program and have played virtual nobodies with the exception of a couple of games a season. It is easy for them to focus on those couple of games and get up for them due to the lack of competition that they had before they joined the ACC.-
formtackler

Boston College and Miami - When I think of the ACC they are the last two teams that come to mind. From what I've seen their fans aren't as loyal as other ACC schools.-
NeverQuit38

Have no feeling toward any of the schools in the ACC.-
mustang37205

No-
ChuckNorrisReb

I really dislike Miami and it's just because -- starting with its president on down the line! I also don't like Boston College -- they were dumb leaving the Big East.-
CTREB

If I had to choose one it'd be Miami. There seems to be a lack of discipline there - from the players to the tv analyst.-
TurfReb

Miami- I haven't liked Miami since the Jimmy Johnson days- they always seem to be loaded with thugs-
teejovitch

Miami. Never liked them. Their good teams in the 80s and 90s always seemed to have a thug type of mentality.-
DannyPRebel

Not really, no.-
RebInLorton

Yes. Miami. Honestly, it probably just boils down to good ol' fashioned jealousy. I have to admit it ticks me off to see them enjoy so much success over the past 20 years considering they don't have much of a real, tradition-steeped, loyal fan base to speak of. When I think of schools like Clemson, Florida, UGA, LSU, Auburn, GT, Ole Miss, etc., I think "college football". When I think of a team like Miami, I think "semi-pro football". If you're going to enjoy the fruits of victory and success, you should be willing to endure the pain and suffering of failure. Before they became a semi-pro team in the early 80's, the interest in that program was so abysmal it was on the verge of getting axed completely. Think about that for a minute. No matter how bad things may get in the W/L column, can you imagine there ever being even a .00001% possibility of your entire program being abolished because of lack of interest? I can't.-MakersMarkReb

Probably Miami baseball right now. Maybe Duke and UNC basketball, but I'm probably just jealous.-
CapitolReb

Dook!....They suck!-
SuaveRebel


GT. Because I have heard they think they are better than us in some instances. Like, I think the reason they got out of the SEC 50 yrs ago was because they thought they were "above" the SEC and wanted to be the ND of the South. Like ND, they soon found out they are nothing without a conference. And I have heard that when we first approached them to play them a home-and-home and they said they'd play us, but didn't want to come to Oxford. Like they were above coming to Oxford. Don't know if that is true, as it was years ago, but it's what I heard. The nerve. Of course, we are playing them in the next couple of years, and they are coming to Oxford. So that could be not true.-MississippiKite



(6) Would you like to respond to any comments made by ACC fans about Ole Miss? If so, please list comments below.

Thanks to those of you who were well-informed in your responses. Those of you who said we shouldn't have fired Cut should look no further than his list of HC job offers and where he is now. That should tell you enough about why we fired Otis.-PiedmontRebel

Va Tech fans should be proud of their basketball support. That was one of the most exceptional game atmospheres I have ever witnessed, and it far exceeded what Ole Miss fans have provided their own basketball team at home. Even though we won the game(NIT), the fans could not have been any better. Ga Tech fans are about as lack luster as Vandy(which is why it's such a great trade). Watch out Winston-Salem! We're come'n to stomp some Demon Deacon a! Other ACC teams not mentioned, Boston College-Maryland-NC State-Virginia, are not worth mentioning.-GeorgiaRebz

A lot of comments seemed centered on the Rebel Flag and Colonel Reb and old negative southern stereotypes. I'm not going to say those things don't exist, but in the 15 years I've been in Oxford, things have changed dramatically. There are no longer Rebel flags at games and they are generally frowned upon in most circles. The Colonel Reb mascot is being phased out, much to the chagrin of many fans, and the University has worked hard to shake off the negative stereotypes while keeping the positives... hospitality, pretty girls, good food and, God willing, good football. C'mon down and visit, we'll feed you.-r3b3l_fan

Yes I would. The Duke fans are idiots or they were just being "mean" in their thoughts about Ole Miss. Another thing that drives me crazy is the whole race issue that is still associated with Ole Miss. We’re not all racists because we went to Ole Miss or because we’re from the south. My freshman year in college I went to a school on a lacrosse scholarship and about 95% of my team was either from Massachusetts or New York. I loved all the guys on my team, but they were the most racist bunch of folks I had ever met. I never met anyone at Ole Miss that was more of a racist that any one of those guys from the north. Just because we’re from the south doesn’t mean we hate anything that’s not white. That is just an absurd assumption. The large majority of the people I have met in Oxford, with the exception of the police (they just hate life and Ole Miss Students), have been the most considerate and outgoing people I have ever come across.-jacopass

To the guy who thinks we have skeeters in the Grove, I can only laugh. There may be some headaches the day after a game but it isn't from West Nile.-
sampath

Yeah, those of you who associate Ole Miss with the Confederate Flag, racism, and goood 'ol boy networks need to get with the times. We lost in Vietnam, Armstrong landed on the moon, and the Cold War is over. Similarly, those negative stereotypes you bring up are in our past and in no way reflect the fact that Ole Miss has more black students than almost every public university in the nation. Your broad-sweeping, outdated generalizations anger Ole Miss fans abroad (both black and white).-
YeeOleMiss5

Quit saying we shouldn't have fired Cutcliffe.-
Alry45

Greyman -
Greyman

Yeah I love the Col. Reb is racist idea...and they think Southerners are ignorant!-
Pettey

I think it is completely ridiculous that people think of Mississippi in general as the most racist state ever. Most of the people that posted that, have probably never been here. You cant just say bad things about a place unless you have personally been there.-
Reb08

I thought the comments were generally very respectful but it's even better at Ole Miss than most imagine-
rogertheshrubber

I would have to second what other Reb fans have said about MS and Ole Miss being tied to racism. For one, it exists EVERYWHERE! Two, we as a state and University have worked hard to overcome our past and stereotypes. Come see for yourself.-
RebelCrispy

I wish some of these folks could come to a game here and spend a week in Mississippi so they can see things are not like the media has lead them to believe. I spent some time in the north, Boston area specifically, And there is way more racism there than here, at least it is more in your face. People up there said and did things I have never seen in 40 some odd years here.-
chumanfu2000

Overall I like the ACC and would enjoy playing any school in any sport.-
formtackler

They would enjoy a gameday in Oxford a lot more than they think they would!-
NeverQuit38

No most are fair opinions. Except ones that mention racism. If those people were to visit Oxford today, I'm sure they would change their tune.-
ChuckNorrisReb

Athens pales in comparison to Oxford. What artists have come out of Athens? R.E.M? Wow. Nothing but unintelligible, pompous, pseudo intellectual, phony, vegan crap.-
teejovitch

Yes. I am from just outside of Washington DC and grew up here in VA. I went to Ole Miss on a visit and fell in love with the place immediately. However, most (99.9%) of people have never been to Mississippi and base all of their thoughts and opinions on hearsay and rumor, with no personal experience. It's like the running jokes on West Virginia here and inbreeding, marrying your sister, yada, yada, yada. The sad fact is many still see the state of Mississippi as if it were 1963 and not 2008. Yes, there are a lot of things that still need to be address, poverty being a main issue. However, I have seen a lot more racism here in the DC metro area than I did in MS. I strongly believe that a greater attempt has been made to correct the injustices of the past in MS than in many other, larger, more prosperous states, including those in the north. People must set aside their preconceived notions of Mississippi and actually take some time to research their facts, spend some time here and then make up their own INFORMED opinion. This almost never happens and people continue to speak from ignorance. In court, ignorance of the law is no defense or excuse. Nor should it be with respect to the south.-
RebInLorton

It's been like a week since I read the comments. So, I don't remember much about them. I do remember they generally had a better appreciation for my school than most of the Big East fans did in the last survey. (Those Pitt fans really had a chip on their shoulder.)-
MakersMarkReb

They seem to have an overall attitude that MS and the South in general is a hotbed for incest, bigots, and rednecks. They are correct. Just kidding; I don't really appreciate the stereotyping, and I wish y'all would come and see for yourselves before passing judgment.-
CapitolReb

Yes. We are stronger academically then people think. Don't look at our admissions standards and judge us(we don't set them, our state board does). Only 7 public schools in the nation have more Rhodes Scholars than us. Our honors college is ranked top 3 in the nation. And oh by the way, We are Hosting the 1st of 3 Presidential debates. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just give some low tier academic institution such an important event. Come check out our school, we can hold our own. 74 percent of the students that applied to med school were accepted (the national average is 41 percent.) We don't care about academics? That is incorrect my friends. -
SuaveRebel




Posters from
RebelSports.net (Rivals)
Ole Miss Spirit (Scout)

No comments:

Google Search

Google