29 June 2008

How we are preceived continued: UConn/ USF

Up next in our series we look at how fans from UConn and South Florida view the Rebels.


First stop: UConn


(1) What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Ole Miss?
go to hell ole miss, go to hell!-LSUConnMan

The first thing that I miss is Coach O-
Excalibur33

Rebel Flags-
TRestapalooza

Probably Eli Manning and some highly entertaining game Ole Miss and Alabama played in the rain six or seven years ago. And I've always thought their helmets were ugly.-
Fishy

Archie Manning ... and then the kid from "Blind Side".-
PudgeF

Eli Manning-
CThusky77

archie and eli-
palatine

eli manning-
ibleedhuskyblue

Football/Nice Campus/Eli Manning-
UConnHuskies86

Archie Manning and Eli Manning. -
uconnbill

Consecutive Miss Americas.-
RegisteredUconn

Spanish Moss and used to be good.-
CTHoopster

Ed orgeron shoulda had another year.-
joshuacaleb

(2) What are your feelings about Ole Miss?

I would've happily matriculated there...if only they would have deferred my admission a year since I was stuck in Kuwait.-
LSUConnMan

My sense is that most Ole Miss fans think that their history is more impressive that it is, and that they are one of the "haves" in the college football landscape. Reality is that they've had some good teams, but they aren't regarded as highly on a national basis as their fans think they are.
-
Excalibur33

Not much. Not on TV near as much as other SEC powers (LSU, Florida, Alabama). Got that ugly James Meridith stuff. And, Oxford is supposed to be a great place to see a game.-
PudgeF

Good school-
CThusky77

I like eli-
palatine

none really-
ibleedhuskyblue

Had a fun time when I visited. -
UConnHuskies86

I like Ole Miss as my brother went there and is a huge fan and alumni. So out of all the SEC schools I root for them. By the way they are not cheaters like some other schools cough Alabama, cough LSU....-
uconnbill

Mildly positive - nothing negative.-
CTHoopster

Never going to contend for a championship. -
joshuacaleb

(3) Would you like to play us in football or basketball in the future?

I'd love to see an Ole Miss-Uconn baseball series....aside from that, I think it could be a good away game to introduce people to the concept of college tailgating, as opposed to NFL tailgating.
There's no doubt THe Grove is more exciting than GT was.-LSUConnMan

I'd like to, but I don't see it happening
. -
Excalibur33

We've recently played in hoops, yes to football for the potential road trip.-
TRestapalooza

Of all the teams in hoop and football, if I were to list them in order of preference, it would be a while before I got to Mississippi. There's no compelling reason for the two schools to play.-
Fishy

Why? There is no compelling reason. If we had a chance to meet a good Mississippi team in a good bowl: Of course. That's a huge advance for our football program. I think their basketball has been generally easy for us to beat.-
PudgeF

Football, sure. Basketball, not really-
CThusky77

don't really care-
palatine

Sure, why not? A game with Ole Miss is better than a game with Maine.-
uconnbaseballCWSchamps

basketball- no football- definetly-
ibleedhuskyblue

Heard a rumor a year or so ago that we were trying to get a home and home in football with you but I guess nothing ever came of it. Would prefer to play you in football.-
UConnHuskies86

Yes in both sports. I would enjoy going to the Grove to see UConn play and playing Ole Miss in basketball would help them and let UConn tell players from the deep south they would get to go home.-
uconnbill

Let's play!-
CTHoopster

I'd like to see it in football. -
joshuacaleb

(4)What do you think about the SEC in general?

The SEC is the greatest conference to ever grace the planet!-
LSUConnMan

I don't think anyone can debate that in most years, it's the best and deepest conference. That tends to happen when you're playing by a different set of rules than everyone else. Oh, and SEC fans are ******* crazy
.-
Excalibur33

Players paid somewhat less than the NFL, but more than the CFL.-
TRestapalooza

It's obviously a good conference, but the SEC plays out of an entirely different rule book than most of the other conferences. And by different rule book, I mean they lost it.-
Fishy

Powerful. Cheaters. Their fans arrogantly accept both.-
PudgeF

Best conference in football.-
CThusky77

low ethical standards-
palatine

Ugh-at least they beat up on OSU in the title games.-
uconnbaseballCWSchamps

Great conference. Good regional rivalries. Stable. To me, many SEC fans are a little arrogant toward other conferences. Fail to acknowledge that there are some pretty good teams in the Big East.-
UConnHuskies86
I
like the SEC overall but the fans can be full of themselves and think the SEC is the end all of everything.-
uconnbill

Not 1st on the list of most ethical conferences.-
CTHoopster
I think the SEC as a whole is cocky, although I might be to if I were in that situation. -
joshuacaleb

(5) Have you ever visited Oxford on game day? If yes, what was your experience? If no, what have you heard about our gameday experience?

Never been there on game day, but I have had a great time partying there on a Friday night. ...Who wouldn't love to spend a weekend in a town like Mystic, which doubles as a three day tailgate??-
LSUConnMan

Never been. Heard good things, and if I happened to be there I'd love to check it out.
-
Excalibur33

Heard it's the premium tail gate experience.-
TRestapalooza

Nope and nothing.-
Fishy

If I had a chance ... and was in close proximity, I would absolutely do that.-
PudgeF

Nope, and I haven't heard anything.-
CThusky77

No, and I hear the Grove is a nice place to visit.-
uconnbaseballCWSchamps

i will if we play there, but not yet.-
ibleedhuskyblue

Yes. Was at the Ole Miss/LSU game a few years ago that decided the SEC West champion. Great game. Eli did not play that well that day and iirc the field goal kicker missed a couple. Ole Miss lost (I think the final was 17-14). I had a blast. Liked the grove, walking around campus, etc. The guy I was with, an alum of Ole Miss, showed me the statue on the campus to the "War of Northern Aggression". Don't you have someone famous give a video tribute before every game? Oxford is a pretty little town too. But, if I heard that William Faulkner was buried there one more time, I would have screamed.-
UConnHuskies86

Been to Oxford once but it was for a visit and not a game. I would love to go to the Grove for a
game especially if they were playign say UConn. -uconnbill

Nope. One of a few states I haven't visited.-
CTHoopster

No, I've heard the coeds are gorgeous and the people are classy.-
joshuacaleb

Posters from:

South Florida:

(1) What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Ole Miss?

I think of the Rebel and how outdated that mascot is.-el-toro
Colonel Sanders and fried chicken-SOOPUH FLY
Hot & Muggy-LakeBull

The Mannings even though Peyton went to UT.-brolph

Segregation and James Meredithb. Larry Kirk and football-Alfred E
Very nice school, great town square, great authors, and world class ladies.-FulloBull

Egg Bowl-rickydatig

Eli Manning beating the Gators.-frankdepalma

(2) What are your feelings about Ole Miss
?

Ole Miss has never really impressed me much. Pretty much feel that Ole Miss is synonymous with mediocrity. Probably good enough for 6-7 wins most years but barely .500 in SEC ball.-el-toro
good ole southern hospitality-SOOPUH FLY

Traditional SEC School-LakeBull

Mediocre SEC school. Sorry but when was the last time Ole Miss played in the SEC Championship game? Never. It's been a long time since Archie-brolph

I have none, one way or the other.-Alfred E

My two son's graduated after attending on golf scholarships. I love it.-FulloBull

Decent program who has failed to get over the hump for many years.-rickydatig

A program that has all of the tools to be great in the SEC, but just has never gotten over the top consistently in the SEC.-frankdepalma

(3) Would you like to play us in football or basketball in the future?

I think more along the lines of football anyway so I would say yes, any opportunity to play an SEC team should be considered - especially a 1-for-1.-el-toro

absolutely-SOOPUH FLY

Would love to play you.-LakeBull

I would certainly like to play a home and home with Ole Miss. I believe Ole Miss is an SEC charter member and that carries a lot of weight.-brolph

Yes, but only 1 for 1.-Alfred E

Yes, home and away deal.-FulloBull

(4)What do you think about the SEC in general?

I feel the SEC in general is an over-rated league and tends to get way too many "favorable" calls in OOC games. I also feel that the SEC does not play enough OOC road games and this goes for the higher echelon teams like Bama, UF, Tennessee et al.-el-toro

some tough defenses and passionate fans-SOOPUH FLY

Has the talent to beat anyone-LakeBull

I personally hate the SEC because they are overrated. The SEC is a great and difficult football conference but not to the point the media portrays it to be. The SEC powerhouse programs rarely play a tough OOC schedule and rarely play an OOC road game. The SEC gets to claim how tough their schedule is every year because they play each other yet they typically play no one OOC so there is no real way to determine how tough the SEC truly is since they only play each other. The rest is subjective media BS. The next most overrated conference is the Big Ten. The SEC is getting all kinds of love right now because they beat up on an overrated Ohio State team the past two years. Michigan was equal to Ohio State in 2006 (barely lost in Columbus) but was dismantled in the Rose Bowl by USC. In 2007 that Michigan team returned most of their starters and lost at home to a D-1AA school and got absolutely dismantled at home to Oregon. All the credit the SEC has gotten from beating Ohio State the past two years is based on beating an extremely overrated Big 10 champ. It happened because the media loves the Big 10 and the SEC.-brolph

I really don't think about it. -Alfred E

Great football, a little too protective which gives the impression that they are afraid to face real outside competition.-FulloBull

Very tough from top to bottom-rickydatig

Tough conference that does play on a level field with the other conferences due to the amount of money in their programs relative to everyone else. Its like the SEC is the Yankees or Red Sox, and everyone else is the Royals.-frankdepalma

(5) Have you ever visited Oxford on game day? If yes, what was your experience? If no, what have you heard about our gameday experience?

No, I have never been to Oxford but a co-worker of mine (UGA fan) has and he enjoyed it a lot. Said the Ole Miss fans were better to them than most other SEC fans were towards visiting fellow SEC fans.-el-toro

never been to Oxford but would love to experience game day there-SOOPUH FLY

Have not been there, but guess you would be a lot like Auburn and they had some of the greatest fans I have ever come across. Love the traditions of dressing up the the games. You know you are at some place special.-LakeBull

No on both counts-Alfred E

Have not been there and have never met anyone who has been there.-brolph

The grove is what convinced the boys to go there. Every male needs to go there at least once. Hopefully before he is married. Some mentioned that Ole Miss doesn't play SEC football. I watched Ole Miss beat LSU at LSU a couple of years ago. I watched Eli beat Florida home and the away (at the swamp, The first year that LSU won the nation championship the got there because Ole Miss's kicker ( won the award for best kicker in football) missed two makable kicks. Ole Miss lost by less than 3 points.People should realise that Ole Miss plays great ball every 20 years. By the way, will any of the resturants serve Payton is Oxford now, or is he still banned? Also, now that Nutt is there, is it possible for a Mississippi high schooler to get a schollie there? It doesn't appear he recruits them at all.-FulloBull

No, but I do have a Gator friend that says the best SEC road trip is to Oxford, and is the one his family goes to every time the Gators visit Ole Miss.Good luck this year battling the SEC big guns. Go Bulls!!-frankdepalma


Posters are from:

No comments:

Google Search

Google